The Exclusive Private Member’s Club SOHO HOUSE Opens Its Doors In Barcelona
The exclusive only member’s club founded in London in 1995, has now announced the opening of its new House in Barcelona. Located in the Gothic Quarter, the heart of the city, Soho House Barcelona is set in a striking 19th century building in the historic Duke of Medinaceli Square, overlooking well-known Port Vell marina. The House counts with 57 bedrooms, club spaces, a roof terrace, Cowshed spa, a gym and two heated pools.
The first Soho House opened in 1995 as a home from home for those in the film, media and creative industries. Ever since, the group has carefully expanded to include 18 Houses across Europe and North America, as well as 38 restaurants, cinemas, spas and hotels. Each House is slightly different depending on its location, but the ethos of the Houses has remained the same: to create a comfortable home for a community of like-minded, creative people, wherever they are.
The design of the new House has been spearheaded by Nick Jones, the in house design team managing director Vicky Charles and European design director James Waterworth. Inspiration was taken from classic Catalan design, with gothic architecture influences and double-height, vaulted ceilings. Bedrooms convey a modern but rustic look, applying Mediterranean colours and traditional Spanish patterned textiles. Bathrooms feel light and simple with local tiles and vintage bronze fittings. Furnishings throughout the House, are a mix of mid-century European pieces, with local antiques and custom-made designs from the Soho House team.
Inspiration was taken from classic Catalan design, with gothic architecture influences and double-height, vaulted ceilings
Just a 25-minute drive from Barcelona airport, the House features a collection of restaurants, a fully equipped Cowshed Active gym with House Ride spinning classes and a yoga studio, as well as a 36-seat screening room. When staying in the hotel, guests may use the private member’s spaces. Soho House Barcelona also houses a Cecconi’s restaurant and a Cowshed Relax spa with an indoor heated pool – both of which are open to the general public.
Every month the House Events Team will program “member events” covering tech, business, food and drink, art, design, fashion, film and music. In the past, Soho House member events have included an intimate gig with Mary J Blige, ‘Fashion for Breakfast’ with Victoria Beckham and ‘Summer Sessions’ with Disclosure on Shoreditch House roof.
- 57 bedrooms: Each room has one off furniture and artwork, rainforest showers and Cowshed products. Bedrooms are available for both members and non-members. Price starts at €220 per night and reservation requests can be made either through sohohousebarcelona.com or calling to +34 93 342 86 88.
- Cecconi’s: A public restaurant originating in Mayfair, London, with sister restaurants in Berlin, Miami Beach and West Hollywood. It is open seven days a week, seating up to 120, offering a classic Italian menu. The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner from Monday to Sunday, as well as a Sunday Feast brunch. Cecconi’s also has a private dining space, with a lounge and bar. For more information, visit www.cecconisbarcelona.com
- The Green Room: A speakeasy open from Thursday to Sunday from 10pm to 3am. The room can be used for parties and cocktails and is located in the lower lobby.
- A Cowshed Active gym: Fully equipped gym open to members and hotel guests. The facilities include a workout studio, House Ride classes, a yoga studio, a steam room, laundry facilities, and a House Press juice bar.
- Cowshed Relax spa: Located on the lower lobby, the spa is available to both members and non-members. The design is based on a traditional Spanish pharmacy and has four treatment rooms, four mani-pedi stations, and an indoor heated pool.
- A 36-seat screening room: The room has velvet upholstered armchairs and footstools and screens pre-released and independent movies every day for members.
- The rooftop: With views of the sea and the city. The rooftop has a heated pool with beds, a bar and a lounge seating area where food is served from breakfast through to dinner.
- The Club Floor: Located on the 5th floor for members to eat, drink, meet, socialise and relax. Open all day and night, the club space has a lounge area and a bar with outdoor seating. The menu is inspired by the Mediterranean, with locally sourced ingredients. The club serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner and late night drinks. The club also has The Cabin Club, a dedicated space for “member events” looking out over Port Vell marina.